The University of California Humanities Research Institute (UCHRI) seeks a Postdoctoral Scholar to collaborate in the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation grant initiative, Liberal Arts Literacies for the 21st Century.
UCHRI is the systemwide organization serving all 10 campuses in the UC system. The Postdoctoral Scholar will work in close collaboration with the Director, Research Programs staff, and UCHRI Operations staff. This position will engage in both research (50%) and administrative (50%) functions associated with the Liberal Arts Literacies programs. The Postdoctoral Scholar will:
- contribute to conceiving some of the programming and communications for the initiative;
- operationalize programming, including arranging meetings and agenda for a high profile national Working Group;
- participate in key meetings and research collaborations related to the programs;
- lead and create significant written outcomes for the project such as key issues, bibliographies, short concept papers, blog posts, reports, etc.;
- in consultation with key interlocutors, help to identify, define, research and operationalize up to four key area case studies for the initiative;
- in collaboration with others help to organize and actualize a major public launch event for the initiative’s report;
- engage in ongoing consultation and interaction with the initiative’s leaders;
- assume an active role in managing ongoing Working Group interactions throughout the year, among other related responsibilities.
Some domestic and possibly international travel may be required for this position.
Preference will be given to candidates with a UC PhD with a scholarly background in topics related to the grant foci (data and its management; uses of technology; visual literacies; changes in modes of writing and communication as a result of new media). In order to be considered, candidates must hold a PhD in a humanities-related discipline, with degree in hand no later than September 12, 2018.
The year-long appointment may begin as early as September 13, 2018 and would continue until September 12, 2019, renewable for an additional year, pending review and available funding. Annual salary ranges from $53,000.00 to $58,000.00 depending on experience. Due to the grant’s budget allocation and timeline, this position could not be renewed beyond a 2nd year.
Application Procedure: Applications should be submitted online at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04763 and must include:
- Letter of Interest (including research and administrative skills)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Reference
- Writing Sample (For public, non-specialized audience, not necessarily related to grant foci. For example, a white paper, published blog post(s), newspaper or online article/op ed.)
Please contact Arielle Read at email@example.com with any questions about the application process.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.