Description: UCHRI’s Graduate Student Dissertation Support grant offers funds to support dissertation work for UC PhD students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences. Support may include travel expenses for dissertation research, supplies such as books or copies directly related to the dissertation topic, and fees for summer institutes likely to advance the dissertation (such as language or theory programs).
Who Can Apply: UC humanities and humanistic social science PhD students in good standing who have advanced to candidacy and completed at least one chapter of their dissertation
Award Amount: Up to $1,000
Application Opens: November 4, 2016 (online via FastApps)
Application Deadline: March 3, 2017 (11:59 pm PST)
Awards Announced: April 2017 (expected)
Funding Source: UCHRI/UCOP
Final awards are contingent upon available funding. Funding must be spent in accordance with all applicable UC rules and regulations.
Applicants must be UC humanities and humanistic social science PhD students in good standing who have advanced to candidacy and completed at least one chapter of their dissertation. Applicants must apply online via UCHRI’s FastApps system. Required documents include:
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages max)
- Short Biography (200 words max)
- Project Title and Abstract (200 words max)
- Project Description (2,000 words max) explaining as specifically and concretely as possible how these funds will enable dissertation research and writing
- Proposed Budget (see details below)
- One Completed Dissertation Chapter
- Supporting Documents (optional), for example, if funds will be used for a summer institute, applicant should include the letter of acceptance and documentation of the intended course of study
Preference will be given to students with a substantial portion of their dissertation already completed.
The proposed budget is made up of two elements:
- The Applicant PROPOSED Budget Template
- A Budget Narrative (500 words max) that explains how estimates were determined
Funds are for the direct support of dissertation research and may not to be used for student fees and tuition, non-expendable equipment such as computers or video cameras, or conference travel to professional meetings to disseminate research.
Please indicate if the UCHRI dissertation support grant will be supplemented by other forms of support. If so, briefly state previous and current awards, grants and fellowships, including the title, date, and amount of the support.
For program-related questions, please contact Suedine Nakano, Program Officer, at email@example.com
For technical assistance with FastApps, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the name of the program for which you need assistance.