Graduate Student Dissertation Support, 2023-24
The Graduate Student Dissertation Support grant offers funds to support dissertation work for UC PhD students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences. Support may include travel expenses for dissertation research, supplies such as books or copies directly related to the dissertation topic, and fees for summer institutes likely to advance the dissertation (such as language or theory programs). Funds may not be requested for rent or other regular living expenses. Please note that grant funds may only be used for projects taking place between July 1, 2023 and December 31, 2024. Plan your research travel accordingly.
Applications must be submitted online via Submittable by 11:59 PM (Pacific time) on the deadline date.
Applicants must be UC humanities and humanistic social science PhD students in good standing who have advanced to candidacy and have completed at least one chapter of their dissertation. Applicants must apply online via Submittable. Required documents include:
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages max)
- Short Biography (200 words max)
- Project Title and Abstract (200 words max)
- Project Description (2,000 words max) explaining as specifically and concretely as possible how these funds will enable dissertation research and writing, and how and when you plan to use them. The research travel must take place between July 1, 2023 and December 31, 2024.
- Proposed Budget (see details below)
- One Completed Dissertation Chapter
- Supporting Documents (optional), for example, if funds will be used for a summer institute, the applicant should include the letter of acceptance and documentation of the intended course of study.
Preference will be given to students with a substantial portion of their dissertation already completed.
The proposed budget is made up of two elements:
- The Applicant PROPOSED Budget Template
- A Budget Narrative (500 words max) that explains how estimates were determined
Funds are for the direct support of dissertation research and may not be used for student fees and tuition, non-expendable equipment such as computers or video cameras, or conference travel to professional meetings to disseminate research.
For program-related questions, please contact email@example.com. Please include the name of the grant you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
For technical assistance, please contact Submittable at firstname.lastname@example.org.